Thursday, March 4, 2010

Puddle

For the past several weeks the weather has been slightly more thawed than the usual winter deep freeze. Last week the lake was still frozen solid, however, and as usual we opened it up for the campers to go walking on it as long as they brought a leader along who could provide safety in the form of good judgement. However, sometimes even the wisest leaders can be foiled by a determined 6th grade boy.

While on an ice walk with his group, one student had to be hauled out of a hole (A HOLE) in the middle of the lake. There is one spot about fifty feet from the edge where you can see a four-five foot diameter circle of open water. The ice AROUND the hole (in other words, the entire rest of the lake) is over a foot thick and very solid. Like a moth to a flame, apparently. After they got him dried off and checked out - no signs of hypothermia - they asked what had happened and he only had one thing to say:

"I saw a puddle and I wanted to jump in it."

In every group there's always one.

2 comments:

  1. haha... thanks for sharing funny camper stories! how fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog. And I will read every post. Awesome. :)

    Love you mary esther!

    ReplyDelete