I'll bet you didn't know that campers - especially the ones in junior high - are experts about love. Oh, no, don't scoff; it's true. One day during my first summer working at camp (in 2003, I was 21 years old) I stopped by the craft shop to chat with a group of campers who were elbow deep in beads and paint. While I was there I overheard one of the girls giving advice to another about her boyfriend.
"Seriously," she said as she pawed through a container of beads to find the perfect one to add to her bracelet, "you need to get rid of him." Her tone was one of obvious disgust and eternal wisdom. "There are SOO many other guys out there who are better."
Her friend's hands were frozen over her project as she stared, mesmerized and nodding, at the 11 year old guru next to her. My stifled chuckle made a funny squeaking noise in my throat and they both turned and looked at me.
"Mary!" the love expert exclaimed. She nudged her friend. "I'm sure Mary could tell you, she probably knows a lot about guys."
My eyebrows shot up as I glanced at their counselor. It was becoming more and more difficult to keep a straight face. "Well, I don't know about that," I finally managed. The camper went on.
"Mary, you must have a boyfriend," she stated, convinced that she was correct. I smiled and shook my head. Her jaw dropped.
"How old are you?" she gasped.
"21," I responded.
The look of obvious disgust was back on her face as she slowly shook her head back and forth at me. Finally she demanded "are you at least LOOKING?"
My love life, analyzed and found wanting by an 11 year old. FUN. I have to laugh at it, though, and not come down too hard on pre-teens and teens in the midst of their relationships that involve undying love, eternal romance, and I'm sure, their true soulmate (at age 11 - I mean, I'm sure it can happen). It may be just puppy love, but it's real to the puppy. 11 year olds of the world, you have my sympathies.
No comments:
Post a Comment